West Florida battles rain, Shorter in 5-2 road win
Five different players score for UWF in fourth straight win
Related Item: Box Score
ROME, Ga. – The West Florida men’s soccer team battled through steady rain for all 90 minutes of Sunday’s Gulf South Conference match at Shorter, and the Argonauts persevered to finish with a 5-2 win and remain unbeaten in GSC play. The Argos had five different players score on Sunday, and the team scored at least three times for the third straight game.
In their highest scoring game of the year, the Argos (5-2-1, 4-0-1 GSC) got on the board quickly scoring in the first minute of play. Dillon Gallet (Lafayette, La./Lafayette HS) was in the right place at the right time, collecting a loose ball, turning and shooting past Shorter goalkeeper Ryan Edwards. Shorter (2-7-1, 1-5 GSC) fought back and tied the score at the 7:59 mark, as Diego Gonzalez took advantage of a deflection and an open net to put the Hawks on the board.
The score remained tied through much of the first half, but UWF added a pair of goals to go up 3-1 at halftime. James Moore (Manchester, England/Cumberlands) put the first one in, and Felipe Oliveira (Kissimmee, Fla./Gateway HS) scored the second off an assist by Igor Dias (Belo Horizonte, Brazil/Western Texas). Oliveira’s goal was his fourth of the year and marked his fourth straight game with a goal.
The rain continued through halftime and into the second half, and Richard Dixon (Royal Palm Beach, Fla./Royal Palm Beach HS) was the next to score for the Argos at the 52:12 mark. He drove into the penalty area from the right side, beating the goalkeeper off the dribble and scoring his third of the year.
Shorter scored their second of the game at the 63:48 mark, again by Gonzalez, as he collected a rebound that slipped off the gloves of UWF goalkeeper Ramon Sealy (Bodden Town, Cayman Islands/John Gray HS). The Argos put the game out of reach with five minutes left, as Fernando Silveira (Brasilia, Brazil/Lincoln Memorial) scored on a free kick.
UWF will be tested in their next match, a meeting with GSC leader West Alabama on Friday, Oct. 5 at 7:30 p.m. The Tigers are undefeated in conference play in their first season sponsoring men’s soccer, and Friday will mark the first meeting between the two teams. For information on all UWF athletics, visit www.GoArgos.com.
West Florida (5-2-1, 4-0-1 GSC) vs. Shorter (2-7-1, 1-5-0 GSC)
Date: 09/30/12 Attendance: 40
Weather: Cloudy, rainy
Goals by period 1 2 Tot
West Florida........ 3 2 - 5
Shorter............. 1 1 - 2
1. 0:51 UWF Dillon Gallet (1) (unassisted) - loose ball outside box, turns and shoots
2. 7:59 SU Diego Gonzalez (4) (unassisted) - loose ball in front of the box, open net goal
3. 30:37 UWF James Moore (2) (unassisted) - through ball deflected by defender, skips to open Moore
4. 42:20 UWF Felipe Oliveira (4) (Igor Dias) - long ball played over defense, Oliveira runs on to it and scores
5. 52:12 UWF Richard Dixon (3) (unassisted) - long ball played behind defense, Dixon dribbles around keeper, scores
6. 63:48 SU Diego Gonzalez (Guy Hunt) - rebound of shot, slipped out of keeper's hands
7. 85:23 UWF Fernando Silveira (2) (unassisted) - free kick bent around wall and inside post
Shots: West Florida 17, Shorter 10
Saves: West Florida 3 (Ramon Sealy 3), Shorter 6 (Ryan Edwards 5;
Austen Trevers 1)